The project is focused on blood sample collection only (not treatment) for dogs with hemangiosarcoma or osteosarcoma. Dogs with a suspicious diagnosis of hemangiosarcoma or osteosarcoma will have a single blood sample collected prior to surgery. No therapy targeted at the treatment of these cancers is permitted prior to the blood sample collection. Following surgery, dogs are permitted to receive treatment at the discretion of the veterinarian and dog owner.
Trained veterinarians at the trial sites will evaluate each dog based on eligibility parameters listed below:
- Suspicious diagnosis of hemangiosarcoma or osteosarcoma (any anatomical location)
- Any breed, sex, age
- Gross disease must be present at the time of blood sample collection
- Owner must sign a consent form prior to blood sample collection
- No prior therapy for hemangiosarcoma or osteosarcoma
- Surgery must be performed and histopathology report obtained
The project pays for the blood sample collection and submitting the histopathology report following collection of the sample. No direct owner incentive is provided.