The purpose of this study is to evaluate the safety and analgesic effect of a novel therapy locally administered by subcutaneous nerve block injection in cats suffering from persistent and localized pain, such as that observed in some cats following onychectomy (declaw). The trial involves a one-time treatment with an investigational product administered via a subcutaneous injection around the nerves responsible the pain sensation in the front paws of declawed cats. The treatment will be administered under sedation or general anesthesia. There is no placebo in this study. An estimated 30 client-owned cats will be enrolled. Owners will be required to complete quality of life and pain surveys during the study (6 of each total). The trial site will train the owners on evaluation techniques. Trial visits include the cats’ initial consultation, treatment day (Day 0), and then recheck visits on Days 7, 14, and 28. Other medications for declaw-associated pain, except for CBD and other cannabinoids, are acceptable provided they have been administered for at least 2 weeks prior to enrolling in the study and no changes in regimen are expected in the next 4 weeks.
The trial is fully funded for the full study duration (28 days). Funding includes the initial consultation, the study treatment and administration, recheck visits, required bloodwork, and management of side effects that are thought to be directly related to participation in the study.
Trained veterinarians at the study sites will evaluate each cat for eligibility.
Cats are eligible if they meet the following inclusion criteria:
- The cat has documented localized forelimb pain following onychectomy (declaw) surgery.
- The cat is experiencing pain that is refractory to pain management or the owner has chosen to pursue pain management that is distinct from conventional treatment.
- The cat has experienced a significant decrease in quality of life due to refractory pain (i.e., pain and mobility are negatively impacting quality of life).
- Declaw procedure was performed at least 90 days before the day of RTX treatment.
Cats are not eligible if they meet any of the following exclusion criteria:
- The cat is less than 12 months of age.
- The cat’s body weight is less than 2 kg.
- The cat may be unavailable for the entire study duration.
- The cat is participating in another study.
- The cat is pregnant or lactating.
This clinical trial is offered at the following location:
For more information about future site locations, please contact our Clinical Trial Team: firstname.lastname@example.org